Frequently Asked Questions
about Walking Holidays in Ireland
Below we have tried to answer the most common questions our guests ask us in advance of booking a walking holiday with us. Should your question not be covered below please do not hesitate to contact us, we will be delight to help you as best as we possibly can. After all that’s what we are here for!
In most places we can book extra nights for you at the start or the end of your tour. We will also provide you with information on how to get there and to the starting point of the walk or the airport. Just let us know what you would like and we’ll do our best to help you.
We have listed a few essentials that you will have to bring along and when you make your booking we will send you out a full list of essentials.
- Comfortable waterproof walking Boots
- Waterproof jacket & over trousers
- Waterproof map case
- Backpack, lined with plastic bag
- Walking poles (It may be possible to provide these locally if requested)
- Thick socks / hat / gloves
- Water bottle & lunch box
- Small torch
- First aid
- Sunscreen / Insect repellent
- Compass / GPS device
- and for that special moment, your camera
What’s included in our Walking holidays?
- Carefully selected family-run and welcoming B&B accommodation.
- Comfortable en-suite bedrooms.*
- A full Irish breakfast to keep your engines running.
- Complimentary luggage transfers.
- Detailed maps and route notes so you never get lost.
- Local advice on places to visit and where to eat.**
- Full pre-departure info to allow you to prepare for your walking holiday.
- Waterproof map case to keep your documents dry.
- Extra night(s) accommodation booked on request.
- Need information on local transport options? We’re happy to assist!
- 24/7 local emergency contact.
What’s not included?
- Your flights
- Travel and baggage insurance
- Lunches / Evening meals
* Unless already booked out in which case we’ll try to secure a private bathroom
** You will have the opportunity to purchase picnic lunches and evening meals each day. If you are staying in a remote location, the B&B owner will prepare a tasty surprise for you upon request.
Meals – Breakfast is included in your price and packed lunches can be purchased at almost all accommodations. We will have a list or restaurants for you to chose from for your evening and all will be either at your accommodation or within a short walking distance away. Vegetarians (including those that eat fish) will be catered for, but this needs to be acknowledged on your booking form.
You are strongly advised to obtain insurance cover for personal accident, cancellation charges, medical expenses, loss of money or baggage, travel and personal liability when taking part in any of our tours. Walking Holiday Ireland or its servants or agents cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage to your baggage, or for any illness or injury while on our tours. We also cannot accept responsibility for any loss of damage resulting from circumstances beyond our control.
Pick the tour you’d like to join and fill in the booking form. Within a few days you will receive confirmation of your booking. When we receive a deposit of 30% to secure the booking we will start putting everything together for you. The final payment is due six weeks before the start of the tour and you will then receive all information on your tour.
No, that’s definitely not the case!
The dominant influence on Ireland’s climate is the Atlantic Ocean. Consequently, Ireland does not suffer from the extremes of temperature experienced by many other countries at similar latitude. Average annual temperature is about 9 °C. In the middle and east of the country temperatures tend to be somewhat more extreme than in other parts of the country. For example, summer mean daily maximum is about 19 °C and winter mean daily minimum is about 2.5 °C in these areas.
Have a look at our Irish weather page here for more detailed information about the weather in the region where you will be walking.
(Guided Tours) Our groups are small and friendly – 6 to 12 of diverse nationalities. The emphasis is on fun and enjoyment and you will be in the company of like-minded travelers who enjoy the great outdoors. We cater for all age groups from early teens. Many of our clients travel alone, some are couples and we also cater for larger groups. We can custom-design a tour to suit the requirements of a group of 6 or more members at a discounted price.